CSS Navigation Menus Css3Menu.com

Supervisor - John Walker
Elected to serve a four-year term.  Term ends 2021
Phone: 716-679-4526 Ext. 3

Town Board
Elected - The Town Board is elected by the citizens for a four-year term.  Board meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM in the Community Center.  Workshops meetings called for when needed.  All Board members are on all Committees.
 
Craig Sutton
Phone: 716-410-3377 | term ends 2021

Thomas Wik
Phone: 716-203-7876

Colleen Yerico
Phone: 716-673-1271

Richard Feinen, Deputy Supervisor
Phone: 716-672-2597 | term ends 2021

Town Clerk - Rebecca Schafer
Elected to serve a four-year term. Term ends 2021
Phone: 716-672-4174 Ext. 1
sheridantownclerk@gmail.com

Deputy Town Clerk - Janet Walker
Appointed - Serves at the pleasure of the Town Clerk
Phone: 716-672-4174   

Town Assessor - Thomas Mleczko
Phone: 716-679-9880

Highway Superintendent - Jeffrey Feinen
Elected to serve a four-year term.  Term ends 2021
Phone: 716-637-1206 or 716-680-5461 (c)

Deputy Highway Superintendent - Scott Thompson, Jr.
Appointed - Serves at the pleasure of the Highway Superintendent

Youth Recreation Director - Shannon Aures Karcz
Phone: 716-679-2910

Sheridan Bay Park Caretaker - Rick Cooper
Phone: 716-785-8044

A Glimpse of Sheridan, New York

The land which ultimately became the Town of Sheridan was initially inhabited by Native Americans. The Treaty of Big Tree, signed in 1797, moved the Seneca Indians to the Cattaraugus Reservation and opened up the area to speculators, followed quickly by settlers from the east. On August 30, 1804, Francis Webber, William Webber and Hezadiah Stebbins made purchases of land in Township 6, Range 11 from the Holland Land Company.  In subsequent years, more settlers followed. In 1827, the town was formed legally by taking 32 lots from the town of Pomfret and 35 lots from the town of Hanover. Early publications credit Nathaniel Gray, thought to be a great admirer of the poet, playwright, and politician, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, with promoting the name.

Agriculture became the major industry in the town. For many years Sheridan was known for its production of  fruits and vegetables, especially grapes. The raising of sheep, cattle and horses was another profitable venture in the 1800s.

Situated on the shores of Lake Erie, Sheridan was home to at least 26 ship captains who sailed the Great Lakes in the 1800s and early 1900s.  The first to be noted, Capt. Zephaniah Perkins, was well-respected.  In 1815, Haven Brigham built the Kingbird, a 40-ton schooner, for  Perkins.

Sheridan is still primarily agricultural with several fresh fruit and vegetable stands, vineyards and wineries, and greenhouses producing seasonal flowers and plants.  It is also the home of several small businesses, with some larger corporations on Progress Drive.  The Chautauqua County Airport at Dunkirk is actually located in the Town of Sheridan as is the lovely retirement home St. Columban's-on-the-Lake.

Information:
2773 Route 20
PO Box 116
Sheridan, NY 14135